(You might want to read part one first.)
The costume is finished!
And with it I’ve won a prize called “Lost Art” at The Gatherings cosplay competition, and a lokal cosplay competition held by Hamarama Film Festival and Hamar Game Collective!
First time I wore it was at Desucon:Fantasy, and before I even got inside I met the photographer Danarki, who took these two awesome photos:
After Desucon:Fantasy I’ve changed two minor things. I repainted the white parts of the mask, so now it’s darker and more yellowish. The other change is that I’ve used a wig cap so my blond hair doesn’t show like in these photos. I did buy a wig, but found that I prefer not wearing it anyway. I just couldn’t get it to sit right under the mask/hood, and no way I could take my mask on and off while wearing a wig. Here’s a picture from The Gathering, where you see the whole costume completely finished:
The only changes I’ve done to the shoes since the first post is sewing a nice edge on the top, and dying them slightly darker using… coffee. I’m still not really happy with them, but they do do their job.
I then put on about two layers of paper mache, while bending the ears more into the shapes I wanted. I rounded the edges by globing on glue. When the papermache was hard I painted them. Then I cut them off of the cardboard, which might have been completely pointless as I later just hot glued them onto pieces of craftfoam instead… I figured that it would be softer and that cardboard could bend and break.
My boyfriend kindly lent me his head to find the right places for the ears. Having no better idea I held them in place with tape. (Yes, on fur that is pretty silly.) I cut the back of the fur where the ears were.
I attached the ears to a new base, craft foam. Cut the base to follow the shape of the ears. Then I glued the base to the fur. The mask, fur hood and ears are all glued together to one head piece, and I’m really happe with it.
Unfortunately I haven’t taken any pictures of the inside, and I’m too lazy to do so now. I have two elastic bands superglued to the sides of the mask, so that the mask sits right. I glued black fabric from stockings over the eyes, so that my eyes don’t show through, but I can still see.
Oh, the dress! I am not experienced or confident with sewing. So out of fear I dropped the planning and.. thinking part. I just put the fabric on the floor, then drew on it with chalk. I used a top and a skirt as references. I cut it out, and copied the whole thing to the fabric again.
After cutting that out I just sew them together. As you see in the picture, I cut the bottom edge A LOT, but decided it looked silly, and cut the bottom straighter again. Magically it didn’t end up too short.
Luckily the white top hides a lot of the top of the dress, because it became very messy and asymmetrical. But concidering my skill level I’m really proud. I fuckings made a dress!
And yes, I should have ironed the fabric… and pre-washed it.
For the white top and fur cloak I was sensible and made patterns with newspapers.
As for the hood, I found it really hard, and it hurts just thinking about it. All you need to know is that I somehow made it work.